BusinessPersonal Finance

This Is What Happens To Your Mpesa Balance When You Die

If you have significant money in your m-pesa account, ensure your next of kin is registered as a beneficiary. Here’s how:

  • On your device dial *234
  • Select option 2: My M-PESA information
  • Input option 6: Next of kin
  • Enter your Bonga PIN
  • Enter your next of kin details i.e mobile number, ID.

In case you don’t, in the unfortunate event of your passing, your next of kin may choose to claim your m-pesa assets. Here’s how they’ll go about it:

Safaricom requires that the claimant should visit any of the retail centers and provide certain documents for inspection and approval before any funds can be released.

Where an M-Pesa subscriber dies and has written a will, the next of kin will be required to present to Safaricom copies of the death certificate, ID of next of kin and grant of probate.

Where an M-Pesa subscriber dies without a will, the next of kin will be required to present letters of administration.

These conditions are mandatory for accounts with more than Sh30,000.


For M-Pesa accounts holding less than Sh30,000, you will need an affidavit administered by a Commissioner for Oaths and sworn by the claimant, death certificate (not burial permit), a letter from provincial administration of the deceased’s area of residence or letters of administration and the next of kin’s ID and copy to be retained.

“However in cases of dispute, the next of kin will be required to provide letters of administrations or grant of probate,” says Safaricom in their explanation.

And if the next of kin does not claim the money, the company remits the funds to the Unclaimed Financial Assets Authority (UFAA) as required by law.

“The funds submitted to the UFAA are those that have been dormant for a period of two years either due to inactivity on the M-Pesa Account or where a customer is deceased and the funds have not been claimed by the next of kin,” adds Safaricom.

“Where funds have been submitted to the UFAA the next of kin can still claim them from the UFAA by filing a claim with them. The next of kin will be required to provide certain documentation as will be advised by the UFAA.”

Show More
Back to top button